This is the easiest way to remove visible debris. Just use a hand vacuum or use your regular vacuum cleaner with its brush attachment. Make a note to clean crevices where crumbs, hair, dirt, and dust accumulate. Pet hairs and dust particles can be really pesky especially in those hard to reach areas, use a lint roller to remove them completely.
2. Clean the wood or metal parts
The non-fabric parts of the sofa such as armrest and sofa feet can be wiped clean by using a solution of warm water and liquid dish soap.
3. Find out the type of fabric
There is usually a tag on the couch with codes which will let you know what is the most optimum way to clean the fabric of the armchair. The usual codes found on labels are as such:
- WS: Use a mild detergent with a steam vacuum or a dry-cleaning detergent
- S: Use a dry cleaner detergent only.
- X: Use a vacuum only. No water.
- W: You can use water to clean it.
4. Get the stain out
Using commercial cleaners is usually more convenient and is the more preferred way. However, you can also homemade cleaners that you can make yourself using natural ingredients. Homemade cleaners are more inexpensive, kinder to the Earth and do not consist of toxic chemicals that will harm the human body. Examples of methods to clean your armchair with natural ingredients include:
- For fabric upholstery, mix 1/4 cup vinegar, 3/4 warm water and 1 tablespoon for dish soap. Put in a spray bottle. Spray on the soiled area. Scrub with a soft cloth until the stain is removed. Use a second cloth moistened with clean water to remove the soap. Dry with a towel.
- For leather upholstery, mix 1/2 cup olive oil with 1/4 cup vinegar and put into a spray bottle. Spray the cleaner on the surface of the couch and buff with a soft cloth.
- For synthetic upholstery, mix 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1 cup of warm water, and 1/2 tablespoon of liquid dish soap or castile soap in a spray bottle. Spray onto the soiled area and scrub with a soft cloth till the stain is removed.
5. Let the armchair dry
You can use a dry towel to remove remaining moisture on the surface of your armchair after cleaning it. It is imperative to let your sofa air dry to prevent mildew. To speed up the process you can use a fan. Do not use direct heat such as using a hair dryer at its highest temperature as this might spoil the fabric or cause its aesthetics to deteriorate.